Thursday, April 8, 2010

Planes and more planes

Photobucket

San Antonio is a big military town--from Lackland and Randolph Air Force Bases to Ft. Sam Houston. One thing that you don't get tired of here is watching all the cool planes fly around. From the fast, cool looking fighter jets who tend to fly in pairs as if playing tag--to some of the largest planes I've ever seen in my life.

I am always astounded how the big ones somehow stay up in the sky. They move so slowly they appear to be just floating in the sky like a lost child's balloon. I hold my breath, afraid they might just fall to the ground, but they finish their mission and land safely.

The sound gets you, too. My work is right near Lackland AFB, so on my lunch or breaks I see and hear the wide variety of what the military is using--not counting what the public is flying around in. Base sounding vrooms make my skin tingle with their power. The higher pitch sounds of the fighter jets as they scream across the horizon make me smile. Yeah, Top Gun is the first image in my mind when I see them.

I'm not sure what the official names of the planes I see, as I'm not experienced in that field of study. But there has to be some F-16 Fighting Falcons, and I think I've seen them. Also the C-5 Galaxy has to be the honking big planes I see flying around.

I wish I was a flying nut, then I'd know for sure. Having all these planes around does make for an interesting break. Sitting on the picnic table underneath the oak tree allows me a unique opportunity to scope out what the military is using. At least, what they let us see in the daytime. I learned from being around Edwards AFB in California, that the really cool stuff flies at night. lol

Photobucket

2 comments: