Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Nothing to Sneeze About

Photobucket

I was checking out our local newspaper's web site recently when I caught something that made me stop and go "huh?" On the weather page, there is a spot that lists the pollen count. Everyone knows everything is bigger in Texas and that also includes allergies. Poor Jerry thought he escaped the cotton back in California only to meet nose first with cedar, pollen, mold and pigweed. Yes, you read correctly. Pigweed.

That's what made me stop and go "huh?" I had never before heard of Pigweed. Mountain Cedar was the first thing I heard about when we moved to San Antonio. People suffer immensely when it's in season. Eyes running, nose dripping and their bodies aching all day--its complete misery.

With Pigweed, it's more of a breathing challenge. Wheezing, red eyes, itching, sneezing, itchy throat and asthma-like symptoms make it a miracle to get through the day without collapsing under your desk. Luckily for me, I'm normally pretty good when it comes to allergies. It has to be really, really bad for me to have sneezing fits and a running nose. What I have to watch is my ears plugging up. Once that happens, watch out. Vertigo attacks happen and that's not fun in any way imaginable. (Especially behind the wheel of a car on the freeway at 65 miles per hour).

I've heard of every pill/treatment under the sun to approach these allergies--over the counter and homeopathic. I think every person is different, and people should find what works for them. What works for you?

Be forewarned if visiting Texas, we do have stuff that will make you sneeze. I'll hand you some Kleenex if you need some.

No comments:

Post a Comment