Friday, July 9, 2010

IPhone Has A Place

Photobucket

I became a member kicking and squirming all the way. I didn't want an IPhone. I didn't need an IPhone. I had a perfectly good phone. I could talk to anyone I needed. I didn't need all the bells and whistles. But from all directions I had immediate family members harping on me to get one. I finally broke down at Christmas time and let an IPhone be bought as my present.

I'm still not as into the phone as my husband is, but I am finding it does fit a niche in my life. Yes, I use it to telephone those who I want and need to stay in contact with--family and friends alike.

What I do finding myself using it for besides calling is checking the weather outlook, being kept up to date on breaking news and improving my vocabulary by playing Scrabble on my lunch hours.

I also read books on my IPhone, but it isn't my favorite way to read. I might find myself getting an IPad. That is something I would maximize considering how much I do read. An IPhone comes in handy when I am stuck somewhere waiting (doctor's appointment and the such). I have to read on a daily basis or I'd go crazy. So an IPhone does come in handy when a book isn't nearby.

I like being able to keep in touch with family and friends via Facebook. On my IPhone I can check in and see how they are all doing. I love communicating with people. Facebook is almost like the old fashioned way of writing letters by letting people know what's going on in your life--only its real time.

I have lots of applications or "Apps" as they are often called on my IPhone. They are personalized to me and my husband. We have some similar apps as we will share ones we find. But I have some he doesn't have and he has some I don't have. I have cookbooks on mine, which is great when I go shopping. A couple of taps and I not only have an idea for dinner, but I have the ingredients all ready to read and no writing by me. I love it.

I also have a program that helps me keep track of my blood pressure. I log it in when I take it and when I visited my heart doctor I just pulled out my IPhone and show her the app. It displayed all the times I took my blood pressure, what it was, when I took it, and graphed it all out. My heart doctor was quite impressed.

My husband has sports apps. I'm not into those, but he likes them.

We are planning a trip to Boston in September so we've downloaded apps about Boston. They have wonderful walking podcasts about Boston so we've already had a taste of what Boston has to offer.

We have a GPS on our phone which we usually use once a week. We also use the restaurant app that gives us new ideas of local places to eat at--some we never even knew existed.

So I've become a believer. I believe in being moderate in whatever it is I do. I use my phone as I need it, without overdoing it. It does have a place in a person's life. I admit it.

No comments:

Post a Comment