Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Barbecue Dreamer

Cooking Pictures, Images and Photos

Two weekends ago, my best friend Ellen and I checked out a barbecue competition being held at Sea World. I love any type of barbecue so I was jazzed even though the temps threatened to be nippy cold. I was amazed how many teams were out there competing--hundreds. The smells were amazing and I'm a woman who loves BBQ smoke so I was really enjoying myself.

The rigs we saw ran the gamut of webber grills to tricked out smokers/grills combos--one even in the shape of a gun. Lol These were some serious chefs, who also were enjoying some liquid libations.

I wish there were more handouts of what the bbqers were grilling. We did get a few samples, but far from as many as I'd like. I don't know if I could cook at their level. I don't underestimate how hard it is to grill for a competition. It's different than grilling in the back yard with no one to judge you, but the spouse. It's a lot of pressure.

Saying that, I did find myself trying a rig's rib offering and thinking that my ribs tasted better. I also dislike that all competitions feature brisket instead of Tri Tip. I just think Tri Tip is better tasting than brisket.

We had a great time at the event and it inspired me to grill myself. The very next day I was out there grilling. I used a mixture of apple chips and mesquite chunks. The ribs and Tri Tip turned out perfectly.

This last weekend, after watching a marathon of Pitmaster on Netflix, I played around with injections. I wasn't 100 percent happy with the final product, but I have months to play around with it and a willing spouse to eat whatever I produce.

I'm thinking BBQ is in my blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment