Sunday, July 26, 2009

Biking in Texas

Photobucket

Jerry and I have taken up bike riding. We both want to get in shape and it's time. He's picked it up faster than I have. He has a couple of weeks on me as he bought his bike first. He's lost eight pounds and feels stronger. Me, I got whizzy dizzy today and had to stop for awhile. But, that was after a one hour bike ride in almost triple digit heat.

Bike riding in Texas does have its benefits. We bike at a place called McAllister Park in San Antonio. It has 25 miles of trails with part of them paved and part of them not. Trees abound and it's delicious to be biking when it's 103 and a canopy of trees to protect you from the heat. We also see wild deer while riding and squirrels scampering across the path. The place today was full of walkers, runners, bike riders and people out having a great time.

Photobucket

That's me in the distance biking away. We are trying to do at least an hour ride every weekend here. During the week we are riding around our house every other day. Neither one of us wants to burn out or hurt ourselves. It's actually quite fun to ride. I have to be completely honest and say the hills about kill me. I swear, those long, winding inclines make me want to puke. But I am trying to stick with it.

We were watching part of the Tour de France and I have no flipping idea how they do it. Between watching bits and pieces of that event and part of a triathalon held in Hawaii, I've come to the conclusion I'm soooo out of shape. There was a 72 year old woman who not only competed in the triathalon, but finished it. I'd been toast in the swimming. I can't swim worth squat. Never could. But they inspire me. It gives me hope that if I focus, I can do anything.

Of course, I tried to tell that to my body today when I finally had to stop riding. I had a meager breakfast and after an hour of riding I started getting light headed and seeing spots in front of my eyes. Enough. lol It doesn't mean I am going to stop riding. In fact, I'm going to put in a couple of miles tomorrow after work. But I've learned I have to have food on my stomach and some sugar in me.

I'm not sore, as much as tired tonight. It's a good tired. I never thought I'd get back to loving being on bike, but I am.

Am I going through my second childhood?

No comments:

Post a Comment