Friday, July 24, 2009

Sweetened versus Unsweetened

Sweet Tea Pictures, Images and Photos

Some things aren't going to change just because I moved to San Antonio. One of them being I just don't dig drinking tea and I never have. Growing up with my four siblings and parents, I was the only one who hated it. I was the freak. In fact, I'm probably being sacrilegious by saying that I think tea sucks.

Tea is big here. They sell it in restaurants by the cup, pitcher and gallon. I kid you not. Now, my husband--he loves the tea. Me. Ugh. It is what it is...if I'm going to drink something with my meal it will be soda or booze. lol

What Texas offers that I haven't seen offered before (I hear it's a Southern thing) was the choice in restaurants of Sweetened Tea or Unsweetened Tea. In California, when you order tea it's always unsweetened and you add your own sweetener--whether it's sugar, or the fake stuff. The first time I got offered Sweet Tea I thought I'd try it out. For me, it's still an ughhhh. There is just no kick to it. I like my drinks to have a bite, a kick or a whoop ass.

My husband chooses his tea unsweetened. The sweetened tea is just too sweet for him. This is a man who has used the fake stuff for years. But now, he drinks the unsweet tea with nothing added. His taste buds have changed since he came here. I think that's a good thing for him to not use the fake stuff.

I've never seen the volume of tea drinkers as I have here in San Antonio. They are definately a different breed of people. Apparently, there is never a bad time to drink the stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if someone made ice cream out of the stuff. They love it here that much.

I think I will stick to the only ice tea I really enjoy to drink--a well made Long Island.

L.I. TEA Pictures, Images and Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment