Monday, July 27, 2009

Deer and other critters

If someone were to ask me what was the wildlife you have seen most since you've moved to Texas I'd have to answer--deer. I've never lived at a place where wild animals walk around freely. In California, we had kit foxes that darted through the fields, but they were few and far between. In San Antonio, it's the deer. On two sides of our house we have what they call "greenbelt." It's wild land that won't ever be developed. Sort of like having a small forest around you. This is where the deer live.

They walk wherever they want...sometimes not the best place for them. Some have been hit while crossing the busy streets. That's always sad. To the left of our place, we've seen a herd of six to seven deer. From my son's window we see them nibbling at the plants and calming walking around.

Texas is also the first place where I've seen deer food for sale in the stores. Just like buying bird seed, you can buy deer food. During my walks in the greenbelt I see dry looking niblets of corn that people put out for the deer.

There are many times Jerry and I are driving home after dark and as we drive by a certain road I always warn him to be careful. Deer feel they own the land--I've seen them calmly munching someone's lawn in the dark of night. They saunter around sassy and bold.

Since we have a fence around the back of our yard I'm not bothered by the deer. I've seen everything from young ones to older ones with a rack of horns. Just beautiful, you just hope they don't get hit by a car.

So far, we haven't seen snakes, but our first year here we saw some of the biggest bugs I've ever seen. I kid you not, centipedes the sizes of a ruler. I still get the shivers with that one. I had praying mantis on my wall by my front door that was six inches long. I won't even go into the nest of daddy long legs that resided above my front door for a short while.

Now, we mainly have to lizards that like to live in the ferns on the front porch. I've named them Sherman and Sheba. They dart around when I'm watering the plants.

I can handle the deer and the lizards--you all can have the centipedes. lol

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment