Thursday, August 6, 2009

Big Skies

Photobucket

“We all live under the same sky, but we don't all have the same horizon”

Konrad Adenauer



Probably one of the first things my husband and I noticed when we moved to Texas was the sky. You might ask yourself, "What's the big deal about the Texas sky?" Well, it's flipping huge. It's not your normal sky. You might think you know what a big sky is---but unless you've been to Texas you have no idea.

For as far as the eye can see, you see a clear, blue window to heaven. I'm used to having mountains around me. When I lived in Reno, it was the Sierras. When we lived in California it was mountains not just north to south, but also east to west. Now, I love mountains, but I didn't realize how boxed in we were until we moved to San Antonio.

Our first year here Jerry and I used to just stop and stare. We'd be filling the Jeep up with gas and find ourselves just taking it all in. I'm sure many were looking at us, wondering what was capturing out attention. It is so clear, almost no pollution. Trust me, coming from California we would drive and see the layers of pollution in the air. So to be somewhere where there was practically none was amazing.

Sunsets here are so breathtaking, too. The colors are crisp, and yet soft. Strong and muted all at the same time. Oranges, yellows, purples and reds, as if a crayola box exploded in the sky. We hope to finish our back patio and I can't wait to sit out there and watch all the sunsets. It truly calms the soul.

We might share the same sky, but our horizons are so different.

No comments:

Post a Comment