Thursday, August 13, 2009

Living the rough life

Photobucket

I've often wondered how I would have survived living the pioneer life. I have long felt a deep connection to old places and things. It feels comfortable. It feels right. It's a natural fit for me. I'm not sure why, but it is. When I look at historic recreations of an old cabin I feel happy. I'm not turned off by the bare wood, the small rooms or lack of new things.

It comforts my soul to picture myself bustling around, cooking dinner over an open flame in a large hearth. Seeing my man sitting at a table, drinking a cup of coffee and smiling at the children. It's like a slice of time opens up when I see places like this and I see the memories. I see what was--and I feel the struggles and the happiness that happened. It was hard, but it was worth it.

I feel a connection to my ancestors when I see places such as these. I honor their memories by respecting the past. Most of us nowadays have no clue what it was like to make you own food from scratch, to create your own soap, furniture, housing and really grow crops to survive.

We are so lucky today to be able to go to a supermarket/department store and buy all we need. Are we better off for it? I don't think so. On one hand we are richer than many during those times, but we are also poorer.

I'm blessed that I am where I am because of the sacrifices they made. If you truly think about what all your ancestors had to survive, you'd realize how damned lucky you are to even be here.

“If you look deeply into the palm of your hand, you will see your parents and all generations of your ancestors. All of them are alive in this moment. Each is present in your body. You are the continuation of each of these people.”-Thich Nhat Hanh quotes (Vietnamese Monk, Activist and Writer. b.1926)

No comments:

Post a Comment