Friday, August 7, 2009

Texas Underground

Photobucket

It took me about two years to finally get my husband to agree to go check out a local site that is pretty darn cool. First off, let me say that I have a touch of claustrophia. I'm okay in elevators and closets, but not anything tight that involves the earth. Tunnels, caves and the such make me itchy and a tad lightheaded. But I had heard so much about Natural Bridge Caverns that I wanted to check it out. This place is the largest cavern in Texas.

The first time I brought it up to my husband he balked. We had been experiencing major rain storms and to him, the thought of going underground, especially after it had been raining for 52 days straight, was unacceptable. Finally, things dried out and a year or so later, he agreed. Less than 20 minutes from our house is an amazing natural beauty. It's quite unassuming as you drive up to the place. The grounds are typical Texas--oak trees and big skies. In fact, Jerry and I sat around after the tour on a bench and listened to jazz music on his IPhone and enjoyed the clear blue skies and butterflies.

It's when you step underground that things really start to amaze you.

The entrance is down a short way from the visitor's center and I have to admit I took a couple of deep breaths as we walked into the passageway. I figured if I got too freaked out I could leave. I wanted to see how far I could go. Well, I went all the way--180 feet deep underground. And I didn't freak out once. lol

Natural Bridge Caverns has areas of it that are larger than a football field. We saw it all--stalagmites, stalactites, and chandeliers. We also saw soda straws, which are hollow tubes from where the water leaches through the ground. Nature is so freaking cool. Wherever you looked were amazing formations. From the ground to the ceiling.

Photobucket

We had a great time visiting the place and will go back to do the Illuminations Tour they offer. They also let people do spelunking, but there's NO way I'm crawling into a small tunnel. I'd get stuck and lose my mind. lol

As we were walking down there, I realized that I could easily live underground in a place like Natural Bridge. No bugs, no critters (except they had bats down there at once point in history. The petrified guano gave it away)

If you didn't know where the opening was--it would be a pretty darn safe place to live. I believe they found evidence that Native Americans lived down there at one time.

Heck, Texas even does the underground bigger than anyone else. rofl

No comments:

Post a Comment